Providence Island is a former trade post and the first arrival point of freed American Slaves. The site is characterized by a cement pillar and concrete floor believed to be the `first Concrete work in the history of the country, an ancient water well and an old landing docking platform for incoming canoes and ships. The rusted heavy steel bar of the dock are partly buried into the Montserrado river today. In addition to these elements, is the oldest cotton tree, (250) years according to history of the State.
In the context of contemporary history, a metal tree exists at the site symbolizing the need for peace after many years of internal strife in Liberia. At the south –south direction of the Island lies what was once used as a he Island is also over flung by the Gabriel Tucker Bridge which serves as an easy access to the site as well as few newly built brick huts and a palaver hut in replication of the structures built during the settlers’ period.
The site is of historical and cultural significance in the history of West Africa as the Island was one of the first places freed slaves landed on January 1, 1822. They were the second batch of African slaves who returned to their father’s land from America in 1820 and subsequently created the nation known today as Liberia. As an island it bears testimony to the reversal of the “no point of return” when slaves were forcible taken to the Americas with no prospect of coming back. Providence Island, originally known as Dozoa meaning ‘’ Land in the center of water (Gola`Vernacular) defines Liberia’s origin as a nation, including the cultural diversity that is visible in the country. Before the arrival of first batch of freed slaves from America, Providence Island was a major trade post for both Portuguese and ethnics of the land.
Providence Island is situated between Mesurado River and Stockton creek, can be described as an interesting period in the history of Liberia and is very symbolic as a testament of how freed slaves forged nationhood out of their forced calamity upon gaining freedom when slavery was abolished. This Island, as one of the global areas of human slave trade on the African continent, served as a station of departure and a point of no return thus providing a grim symbol of inhumanity to mankind. The site demonstrates the reversal of the stark cruelty of a dark civilization in which chiefs, governors and family leaders of that time saw as a quick means of satisfying their craving for material essentials through exchange of human cargo. The less important community members and those captured during tribal warfares were sacrificed and sold as slaves.